Non Toxic Nail Polish


Non Toxic - View of pier on harbours edge with boats in background

We at LivOliv don’t agree with the use of harsh, toxic chemicals in nail polish (or indeed any cosmetics for that matter!), especially when there are better non toxic alternatives available.  All our nail polishes are free from the following nine toxic chemicals commonly used in other brands of nail polish.  This is commonly referred to as being 9-FREE.

‘9-Free’  means the product is free from these Nine very nasty chemicals:

  • Toluene is a liquid solvent used as a nail polish thinner – that smells just like paint thinner.  Which can make you feel dizzy & sick.  It is also a skin irritant and may cause liver damage as well as fetal development damage to unborn babies.  This chemical is derived from petroleum.
  • Formaldehyde is a chemical commonly used to preserve dead humans & animals.   It’s vapours are irritating and can allegedly cause asthma.  Formaldehyde is a known human carcinogen – a factor directly involved in causing cancer.
  • Formaldehyde resin is derived from formaldehyde.  It’s not as toxic or harmful, but can still be an allergen.  This chemical is mainly used in the production of adhesives.
  • DBP is a commonly used plasticiser that has been linked to cancer, and is also found to be connected to birth defects.  This toxin was actually added to the California Proposition 65 list of suspected teratogens (agents which cause malformation of an embryo).
  • Camphor is a poison, plasticiser, and rust repellent. Enough exposure to it can cause seizures and disorientation. This chemical acts as a cover on your nails, which causes that yellow staining, as it prevents them from receiving essential natural vitamins from sunlight and oxygen.
  • Xylene is an aromatic hydrocarbon widely used in industry and medical technology as a solvent. It is a colourless, sweet-smelling liquid or gas occurring naturally in petroleum, coal and wood tar, and is so named because it is found in crude wood spirit
  • Ethyl tosylamide serves as a plasticizer and film-former in nail polish and is formed from toluene and ethanesulfonamide. It is banned in Europe (but not in the US) as it is considered a sulphonamide (a subcategory of antibiotics), and the use of sulphonamides in cosmetics in Europe is forbidden, to help mitigate the problem of antibiotic resistance.
  • Triphenyl phosphate has been used widely as a flame retardant and plasticizer. It exhibits low acute toxicity by dermal or oral contact. However, an increasing number of studies have linked exposure to Triphenyl phosphate with reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity, metabolic disruption, endocrine effects, and genotoxicity.
  • Parabens are a type of preservative, first introduced in the 1950s. They’re used to prolong shelf life in many health and beauty products by preventing the growth of mould and bacteria within them. Parabens are believed to disrupt hormone function by mimicking oestrogen. Too much oestrogen can trigger an increase in breast cell division and growth of tumours, which is why paraben use has been linked to breast cancer and reproductive issues.

*Please note: Our nail polish still gives off a slight chemical smell although no where near as strong as normal polish.  If you, or any pets (Birds, particularly parrots, have very sensitive respiratory systems) are affected by chemicals then please use with caution.

LivOliv  are passionate about making products which are kinder to your skin and better for your health.   But we won’t compromise on quality either.  There’s no need to when you can create a quality product without using any of the above nasties.

LivOliv are proud to provide you with quality cosmetics using completely Non-Toxic, Cruelty-Free and Vegan ingredients.

The LivOliv Team x